I know, I know, he’s posting another lemon recipe, but this is the best of the best. The piece of resistance. The cream of the crop! Jonna over at Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake has created the best lemon bars ever! The best part of the lemon bars is they have a shortbread crust. The crust gets all of its flavor from brown sugar and some lemon zest, oh and butter, lots of butter. These are a hit every time I take them to family dinner, people even request them for their birthday dessert.
Best Lemon Bars Evar!
Adapted from Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake
Crust Ingredients (The best part)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold (2 sticks)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lemon, zested
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 lemon, zested
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the butter into 1/2-inch pieces and in a food processor or using a hand-held pastry cutter, process all the shortbread ingredients until the mixture begins to form small pea-shaped lumps.
- Sprinkle the dough into a 13x9x2-inch baking pan and press dough firmly and evenly onto the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of the pan to form a 1/2-inch layer of shortbread.
- Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake the shortbread in the middle of the oven until golden, about . Remove it to a cooling rack. (Cover with foil to keep warm if necessary.)
- While crust is baking, in a large metal bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until well combined and a light yellow color.
- Stir in the lemon juice, flour, and zest.
- When the shortbread crust is ready and still hot, pour the lemon mixture evenly over it.
- Lower the oven temperature to 300°F. When it has reached the lower temperature, bake the bars in the middle of the oven until set, about .
- Let the bars cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack. Lightly sift confectioners’ sugar over the cool bars right before serving.