I have been wanting to post this forever! I initially made started this post in 2008 and have wanted to finish it for a long time. I finally found the time to do it. I found this recipe a long time ago and have been making it ever since. I am not sure what real italian beef is supposed to taste like but we love this stuff. It is so juicy and delicious that you will want to come back for fourths! It marinates in all these tasty spices and its own juices for hours. Making it in the slow cooker allows for supremely tender meat. The broth can be used as well like an au jus or you can do what they do in Chicago and dip your whole sandwich in it.
Slow Cooker Italian Beef
Adapted from AllRecipes.com
- 2 cups water
- 1 t. kosher salt
- 1 t. ground black pepper
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. dried parsley
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (.7 ounce) packages dry Italian-style salad dressing mix (I like the Zesty version)
- 1 (3-5 pound) chuck roast
- Combine water, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, onion powder, parsley, garlic powder, and bay leaf in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Place roast in crock pot and pour the mixture over the top of it.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. At about 8-9 hours use two forks and shred the roast apart in the pot and remove any large clumps of fat. Let cook for another hour or so or you can turn it on high and cook for 30 mins more if you just can’t wait.
- Serve on toasted hoagies with cheese and pepperoncinis. We use pepper jack cheese but you could use provolone or mozzarella. Enjoy!