We have been making fajitas for a long time. Mostly chicken fajitas. We never “loved” what we made but they were bearable. Usually the spices were never that great that we chose to use and were somewhat bland. I didn’t think it would get any better. Alas I was mistaken. I got the Weber Grill App for my iPad and had some New York Strips and decided to not actually cook steaks and wanted to see what was in the app and found this Carne Asada Fajitas recipe. I liked the idea of doing the meat and the vegetables on the grill so we did it. Holy cow are these good. They are perfectly seasoned and the grill gives it the char that bumps the flavor up a ton. I hope you like it as much as we did.
Carne Asada Fajitas
Adapted from Weber’s on the Grill iPad App
- 1 t. paprika
- 1/2 t. dark brown sugar
- 1/2 t. chile powder
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1/4 t. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 t. ground cumin
- 1 Flank Steak 1 lb. (I used New York Strips since that is what I had on hand)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 med. red onion cut crosswise into 1/3 in. slices
- 2 medium red, yellow, orange or green bell peppers, seeded and cut into flat sections
- Tortillas (we like the raw cook your self tortillas)
- Your favorite fixings.
- Make the rub: in a small bowl, combine all the rub ingredients.
- Lightly brush or spray the flank steak on both sides with oil; season steak evenly with the rub.
- Let steak stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before grilling.
- Lightly brush or spray the onion and bell peppers on both sides with oil.
- Grill over direct medium heat until tender, turning once; the onion will take 8-10 minutes and the bell peppers will take 6-8 minutes.
- Cut the onion and bell peppers into bite-sized pieces.
- Grill the flank steak over direct high heat until cooked to desired doneness, 8-10 minutes for medium-rare, turning once.
- Remove from grill and let rest 3-5 minutes.
- Assemble fajitas and enjoy!