Edit 11-23-11 – I have finally added a picture of the waffles. It isn’t the greatest but here it is. I love that waffle iron by the way. It is old and makes the best waffles.
I have ported my “Best Waffle Recipe Ever” over from my portfolio website but i wanted to share it here as well. This will be the main place I do recipe related things from now on.
This recipe was linked from my other website to multiple places including Serious Eats and
My father-in-law is the breakfast master but there has always been a problem, his recipes are in his head. This includes measurements of ingredients. This is a predicament when someone like me wants to make his recipes. Although I have recently learned that his waffle recipe is an actual recipe with real world measurements. These waffles are far and away the BEST WAFFLES EVER!! I mean crispy on the outside, kind of chewy on the inside, yet light. Not heavy. MMMM soooo good.And the recipe was right in front of my nose the whole time. Without further ado:
Best Waffle Recipe Ever
Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
- 1 3/4 C. All Purpose flour
- 1 T. Baking Powder
- 1/4 t. Salt
- 1 T. Sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 3/4 C. Milk
- 1/2 C. cooking oil
- 1 t. Pure vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center. In another bowl beat egg yolks slightly. Stir in milk, oil, and vanilla. Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (should be lumpy).
- Now the important part. In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight up). This may take a few minutes. Make sure you use beaters, its much easier this way than trying to whisk them by hand. Gently fold egg whites into flour and egg yolk mixture, leaving a few fluffs of egg white, DO NOT OVERMIX. And proceed to make your waffles, about a cup of mixture to make a waffle. Good luck
To go with these tasty goodness’s I don’t recommend maple syrup, I recommend a much lighter (taste wise) alternative syrup – vanilla syrup. Recipe:
- 2 C. Sugar
- 1 1/4 C. Water
- Capful + of Vanilla Extract (imitaion or real)
- Put Sugar and Water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling add the vanilla and let boil for a minute or 2. Serve hot over tasty goodness Waffles or pancakes or whatever…