So there I was browsing Pinterest, again. I know I am a pinterestaholic. Hi my name is Lee and I am a Pinterestaholic. (Hi Lee!) Anyways, I really don’t remember what I was looking for but I stumbled upon this recipe for Lemon Bar Pancakes. As I have mentioned before, I am always on the lookout for new lemon recipes. Reason being, my in-laws have a lemon tree in their backyard that produces hundreds and hundreds of the most incredible, super sized lemons. I even (here comes the Pinterest plug) have a Pinterest board dedicated only to lemon recipes! If you want to make some awesome lemon recipes, I suggest you take a look. Here are a few recipes I particularly like: Homemade Lemonade Concentrate, Lemon Loaf Cake
Now back to the pancakes. I took a look at her recipe and realized I didn’t have some of the ingredients she called for so I thought I could use some of my own recipes to make them. I also thought I could improve on the lemony goodness by adding lemon zest to just about everything. First off I needed a great Lemon Curd Recipe and you should make it ahead of time. I made it the same morning as I made the pancakes and it was a bit time consuming and the natives (my kids) got restless. I did have left overs and let me say the pancakes and the crumbles freeze quite well, we had them a week later and they were still awesome. The Lemon Curd keeps very well in the fridge.
My kids thought this was the best breakfast they had ever had, and thats saying something coming from a bunch of breakfast snobs. I know you will enjoy them too!
Lemon Bar Pancakes
Idea from The Pancake Princess
Lemon Shortbread Crumbles
- 3/4 C. butter, cold (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2 C. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 1/4 C. packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 T. lemon zest
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugars, salt and zest in medium bowl and whisk to combine
- Cut butter and lemon juice into flour mixture until it makes a cohesive mixture.
- Pour dough onto cookie sheet and break apart into a little bit bigger than pea sized pieces
- Bake for 10-15 minutes mixing halfway through. The pieces should be slightly golden.
Lemon Pancake Ingredients
- 3 C. all-purpose flour
- 7 t. baking powder
- 2 T. white sugar
- 3 T. brown sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 1/2 C. milk
- 1/2 C. fresh lemon juice
- 2 T. lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C. (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 recipe Easy Microwave Lemon Curd
- Melt butter and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl sift together flour,lemon zest, baking powder, sugars, and salt. You may need to get in their with your fingers to make sure there are no sugar or lemon zest clumps.
- In another bowl or a 4 cup measuring cup, mix together milk, lemon juice, and eggs.
- Pour butter into flour mixture then add the milk mixture and immediately whisk to combine. Leave some lumps though. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a griddle to 350 degrees F, or a skillet on medium to medium high heat.
- Butter (my preferred method) or oil your griddle or skilled and using a 1/4 cup pour out pancakes onto griddle or skillet and cook. Like with chocolate chip pancakes, add some of the crumbles to the battery side while the pancakes are cooking. Flip and cook until done
- Place pancake on plate.
- Top pancake with a good amount of lemon curd.
- Top lemon curd with some crumbles.
- Repeat by stacking pancakes on top of each other however many times for how many pancakes you want.